1. All the Overseers shall be on the premises first and last.
2. Any person coming
too late shall be fined as follows: For five minutes 2d; ten minutes,
4d; fifteen minutes, 6d, etc.
3. For any bobbins found on the floor, 1d for each bobbin.
4. For single drawing, slubbing or roving, 2d for each single end.
5. For waste on the floor, 2d.
6. For any oil wasted
or spilled on the floor, 2d each offence, besides paying for the value
of the oil.
7. For any broken
bobbins, they shall be paid for according to their value, and if there
is any difficulty in ascertaining the guilty party the same shall be
paid for by the whole using such bobbins.
Stalybridge Cotton Mill 2001
8. Any person neglecting to oil at the proper times shall be fined 2d.
9. Any person leaving
his work and found talking with any of the other workpeople shall be
fined 2d for each offence.
10. For every oath or
insolent language, 3d for the first offence, and if repeated they will
11. The machinery shall be swept and cleaned down every meal time.
12. all persons in out employ
shall serve four weeks notice before leaving their employ; but (the
proprietors) shall and will turn any person off without notice being
13. Any person wilfully or
negligently breaking the machinery or damaging the brushes, making to
waste, etc. they shall pay for the same to the full value.
14. Any person hanging anything on the gas pendants shall be fined 2d.
15 The masters would
recommend that all their workpeople wash themselves every morning, but
they shall wash themselves at least twice every week - Monday morning
and Thursday morning - and any found not washed will be fined 3d for
16. The grinders and drawers,
and slubbers, and rovers, shall sweep at least 8 times in the day as
follows: In the morning at 71/2, 91/2, 111/2 and 12; and in the
afternoon at 11/2, 21/2, 31/2, 41/2 and 51/2; and to notice the
board hung up: when the black side is turned, that is the time for
sweeping. The spinners shall sweep as follows: In the morning at 71/2,
10 and 12; and in the afternoon at 3 and 51/2 o'clock. Any neglecting
to sweep at the time will be fined 2d for each offence.
17. Any person found smoking on the premises will be dismissed.
18. Any person found away
form their usual place of work except for necessary purposes, or
talking with anyone out of their own alley, will be fined 2d for each
19. Any person bringing dirty bobbins will be fined 1d.
20. Any person wilfully damaging this notice will be dismissed.
The Overlookers are strictly enjoined to attend to these rules, and
they will be responsible to the masters for the workpeople observing
karen and don [firstname.lastname@example.org], sent to LANCSGEN-L@rootsweb.com, 11 March 1999