One of the landmarks in Aldenhoven is the Roman
Parish Church of St Martinus. According to an inscription in
it was first built during the 16th century.
It was established on the location of a small field church
served many surrounding villages as place of worship. The
was finished in 1516 and was an imposing structure built in gothic
architectural style. The towers rose to 64 metres and could
from substantial distances in the Juelicher county. The bitter
sufferingaltar was the most valuable
work of art in the
church. It was carved around 1510 in Antwerp, Belguim.
In the World War
of 1939-45, the alter was destroyed together with the church.Only the wings and a small part of the Schnitzereien
painted on wood could be saved though badly damaged. They
been restored and the splendour and value of the altar can be seen
The church was rebuiIt in same place during 1949-53
towers are now only 42 metres high. It was designed by Alfons Leitl.
References: Aldenhoven town
website, http://www.aldenhoven.de/allgemeines/orte/aldenhoven.htm Personal visit, September 2016